Friday, September 5, 2008

Booking Take 2

OK, so I think we can all agree that now and then we rush into things. One of the things that I may have jumped the gun on was this hostel. As much as I want to stay in a great hostel and really experience that lifestyle, I also have to consider the fact that I'll be living in London, one of the most expensive cities in the world, for the next 6 months. Furthermore, the hostel is temporary. I am there to experience life and meet people and all the things that can happen there, but I am looking for a more permanent arrangement, whether that be settling into a long term hostel, or hopefully finding an apartment. Plus I need to find a job, and to do that, I need to be closer to everything London has to offer.

That being said, I have switched reservations to Astor Hyde Park Hostel in South Kensington, London. The reason for this is that a) they are cheaper by $50 for the 5 days; b) they are more centrally located by Kensington Garden; c) they have a higher rating at 93% from Hostel World, as well as being listed as #1 on the top 10 hostels. It is a bit smaller-33 rooms-and are listed as strictly as hostel, aka ages 18-35 only. I will miss some things (the privacy curtain and reading light, the attached pub and grocery, the socialization rooms) and especially the chance that others from Bunac will be there. But I get free Internet, breakfast and linen included, a newly renovated Victorian house, more luggage storage, and the better location and cheaper price. Hopefully I'll still meet people, but the point is that I'll be able to get more out of the overall experience instead of that first week if I do this...I think :)

Here are some pics from Hostel World of the Astor Hyde Park Hostel:
The hostel from the outside

The oh-so-popular bunk beds with storage lockers under (this is the one thing I feel like I'm really missing out on by leaving Globetrotter...ca va)

Guest Kitchen and dining area

Shiny New Kitchen Facilities

Proof of nice clean bathrooms--very important

The winding wooden staircase inside the Victorian house. Pretty.

I was talking to my parents last night, and they did all their traveling in Europe on $40 a day. That was for 2 people, including hostels, food and travel. Knew I should have done this in the early 80s....wait...wasn't born yet. THAT'S why they could do that! :-P

With that in mind, look for a budgeting blog soon. 45 days!!

Best,
Emica

No comments: