Friday, October 24, 2008

Job Hunting

Oh my gosh, 2 posts in one day?!?! She must be ubber lame...

Or ubber money conscious. Unfortunately, I am now limiting myself to a ₤10 per day limit, and that's at max. This limits after dark activity, but whatev--I have all year to catch up on that. And I'm definitely working the daylight hours. Luckily, there is plenty to do for free during the day-walk around, go to landmarks, go the park--plenty.

Today was a working day. By that I mean, I went to Bunac office in the morning, and spent 3 1/2 hours writing down names and job opportunities, working on making my resume into a CV (the really nice girls who work there proofed it for me), tentatively looking at apartments (tho that is hard without knowing where I am going to live, and with my future roommate still being in the US) and generally trying to be productive. I was really proud of myself tho--I figured out a shorter route to the offices with the buses instead of the Tube. Cheaper too. Gold star me.

I didn't find anything I particularly loved, but I emailed myself a ton of websites they had to look at tonight so I didn't have to hog a computer there. It's a lot of temp office work, research, reception and hostess kind of thing. Some of the hotel jobs look ok, and come with housing, but I liked the idea of having a flat--even if I share it with a million people. And new friends, of course :)

After I did all my job stuff, I ended up walking back down to the Tube with a guy from Canada. He wanted to know where the phone store was, and I had been there the day before. He was kinda awkward. He had glasses and liked being in school but hated tests. His name was Chris. Seriously. I had a hardcore high school freshman flashback, and said my goodbyes quick like a bunny. No offense, but I am not doing that again. At least not back at the beginning. Too many signs. :-P

I stopped at a shop by the Tube and got a meal for ₤3.50. Really good panini, crispes and a soda. Not really healthy, but cheap cheap cheap. I have to go out tomorrow and find an honest to god grocery store. Or at least one of the fruit stands I saw the day I went wandering in the West End. The chips were Cheese and Onion...not bad. I took my lunch down to the park and sat on my 'Gaston' bench again. I really like the feeling of having a 'spot'. It was really funny too, because it was about the same time I sat there on my first day, and I saw some of the same people walking their dogs as before. It made me want to get a dog so badly. I just think they are such great companions. PS Mom/Dad--has anyone fed my Fishy lately? Feel free to take it to work/school/give it to Bre--I think Meg was ok with having her ;-)

I stayed in the park and read until it started to get dark, then I came back to the hostel. I really wish I could stay here longer, but it's booked up all next week, unless I want to pay 3 times as much for a private room. I found another hostel to go to on Sunday night-the London Backpackers hostel. Its a little out of the city central, but for 11 bucks a night, can't really beat it. It still has free wi-fi and has decent reviews--it even has the kitchen, but no continental breakfast. Oh no, no all you can eat toast??? What am I going to do?? Buy a bag of apples and my own bread for ₤2, I suppose ;-) At least with this place, I'll have another week covered, and I'm updating my Oystercard to unlimited travel, so it'll just be about timing. Plus, they have a DVD collection, which will be great when I'm being poor and staying in.

Most of the jobs just want you to email them a copy of your CV and they'll contact you, so that's my plan for the night. That, and more 65p ravioli. Woot dog. I haven't even had a beer or been to a pub yet. Friggin' money. Tomorrow I have to go to the Apple store in Oxford Circus--my iPod is on the fritz. Life here is so much less fun without a soundtrack. Well, the Tube is at least.

-Emica

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Finding a good job is all about hard work and experience. You have to present your talent in way that shows the employer what talents you bring to the company! If you have any other job ideas check out the job tips @ http://www.pro-resume.net