Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Signed, Sealed, Delivered!

I am all set to rock and roll!

The visa FINALLY came back, and I am completely legal and ready to go :) Well, with all the red tape, anyway.

I leave in 6 days, and I feel like I still have a million things to do. I am working today, half day Weds., and then Thursday will be my last day. My plan is to sleep late on Friday morning, and then I am going to be spending the afternoon and evening in Portland with friends, saying goodbye and all that. I am going to my grandparent's farm to say goodbye this weekend, and my parents are taking Monday off to take me to the airport in Boston. I have to pack, talk to my bank, get letters of recommendation from the temp. service, find a new home for my Fishy, call or Skype with people not in the area, breath, breath, breath. Its going to be a hectic week.

I am so excited and so ready for this adventure to start, but I have always been resistant to change. Going back to college after a break got easier because I knew what I was going back to and it was more like a transition between homes then between worlds. College felt naturally like the next thing to do in my life when I was 18. I feel like this is the first choice I've made in my life that was completely independant of what I expected to be the next step in my life. The next step in the cookie cutter version of life would be to move out of my parents' house, get a job, pay my bills. Going to explore the world is a once in a lifetime chance, and even if it means putting off the stability or the expected, I wouldn't give it up for anything. I can't resist. Scary, but so so sweet.

My grandparents (from CT) and my cousin Catherine came this past weekend to say goodbye. We spent an amazing weekend taking walks in the beautiful fall weather, shopping in the Old Port, going for micro brews at Gritty's, watching movies, and talking for hours and hours. We went to my favorite store in the Old Port, Mexicali Blues, and all the girls bought scarves, rings, or watches. Originally, I waited outside because I didn't want to spend any money, but as we were sitting drinking beer and chatting over sweet potato fries, I realized that I wanted something to remember the day by. Maybe it'd be one less fish and chip take away in London, but my hips don't need that anyway ;-) I got a beautiful silver ring with a long mother-of-pearl stone in it, and I love it. Its the first real weekend of goodbyes, which makes me sad. I wish I had talked with my grandparents more. They are amazing, wonderful, inspirational people, and I love them. But it's only a year. I'll see them again soon. Hopefully they'll come to Ireland--I'm sure they could find a place to stay.

Back to my last week at work, and finishing things up. They are taking me to lunch on Thursday, so there is something to look forward to. Look for a 'night before I leave sure to be reflective and make no sense whatsoever kind of rambly I'm sure' entry next week. Kind of like this one :)

-Emica

No comments: